Friday, April 10, 2009

The Crucifixion of Jesus Christ


Shortly before the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, Jesus was arrested in the Garden of Gathsemane after anguishing in prayer to His Father through the betrayal of one of the twelve, Judas, the Gospel of Mark Chapter 14 records.

Prior to that, Jesus had been through several trials, six to count; three were of the Jewish leaders and three were of the Romans, and endured unbearable painful beatings and whippings along with mocking as the Roman soldiers led him into the hall before Pilate, placing a crown of thorns upon Jesus' head, as the multitudes, persuaded by the chief priests, yelled 'Crucify him

Jesus endured further mocking by the Roman soldiers when they clothed him in purple to go along with his 'crown of thorns' they had placed upon his head as they saluted him 'Hail, King of the Jews', smoting him on the head with a reed, spit upon him, and bowing their knees worshipped him. After mocking Jesus, the Roman soldiers removed the purple robe and put his own clothes on him and led him out to crucify him.

Golgotha, meaning the place of the Skull, was the site of Jesus' execution. Jesus' hands and feet were nailed to a tree by the Roman soldiers after the long, painful journey, enduring whippings and his back bleeding, to Golgotha. For painful hours, our Saviour hung on the cross for our sins, in the mid day hot sun, with painful thorns penetrating into his head.

The sky turned dark at about the sixth hour, bringing darkness over the whole earth for three hours, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst, and Jesus gave up his spirit to His Father.

Now there was a good and just man called Joseph, of Arimathea, a counsellor, who had requested of Pilate the body of Jesus for burial, who wrapped Jesus' body in fine linen and laid Jesus in a tomb and rolled a large stone before the entrance.

Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay dow my life, that I might take it again.  No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself.  I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.  This commandment have I received of my Father.  John 10: 17,18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF